24 June 2011

COLOMBIA: GMO Pot...A New Bonanza...And New Headache...For Police; Coca Acreage Declines For 3rd Year.

AFP

The arrival in Colombia of genetically modified marijuana seeds has some growers crowing about better prices...but disturbs federal police.

The new gmo pot delivers "bigger production and better quality at the same time" says a farmer.

"I don't like growing marijuana, but it ended up that way," one farmer said. "I received a loan to grow coffee, but I was drowning and I had to sell my harvest very cheap. My sister told me it would be better to plant marijuana."

A police commander said :"We believe...the FARC guerrilla forces are 90 percent financed by marijuana."

Pot production and sales are growing in Colombia--the world's biggest cocaine producer in 2009.

ALSO:  A new report states that Colombia's coca growing acreage fell by 15% in 2010...the third straight annual drop.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-coca-report-20110624,0,6078850.story