AFP/ C. Batista /
Journalist Ivan Hernandez, 39, a jailed dissident who refused to go into exile in Spain, was finally released and returned home... to Matanzas.
He was one of 75 opponents of the government arrested in 2003.
He was released along with six other prisoners.
"I am free. I will keep writing, as I did from prison and as I will now from the street. I will write of the events that affect ordinary Cubans," he told AFP.
"A major from the interior ministry told me that since I was being released from jail, that I should stay quiet at my home," he said. "But I told him that I was going to keep writing and working as an independent journalist just like before they convicted me."
Popular Posts
- CANADA / MEXICO / CHILE : Former BC Woman Cop Murdered In Playa Del Carmen; Barrick Gold Fined $16 Million For Pascua-Lama, May Suspend Mine.
- POLAND: Jaroslaw's Opposition Party Expells 3 Top Members.
- CHINA / VIDEO : Dissident Artist Ai Weiwei Releases Critical Funky Rock Video.
- RUSSIA / CZECH REP / SWEDEN / MEXICO / BRASIL: Gauging Navalny's Real Support; American Sought For 4 Murders In Brno; Rioting Near Stockholm Spreads On 4th Night; Vigilantes Continue Narco Fight In Tierra Caliente; October Auction Scheduled For Giant Libra Subsalt Field.
- BRASIL: Truck Driver Escapes Watery Death.
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- COSTA RICA / PERU / COLOMBIA : 17 May UPDATE : 2 More Aides Resign After Prez. Chinchilla Comes Under Fire For Free Flights On Alleged Narco Jet; Key Minister Resigns Over Flight From Bogus Person.
- EL SALVADOR : Supreme Court Ruling Threatens 60,000 Gang War Truce.
- ITALY : Ruby Heartstealer Testifies About Bunga Bunga Parties at Milano Trial.
- AUSTIN / TECHNOLOGY : TWITTER Is NewsBlog's New Home.